Just in case there are some very unprepared people out there who have only just realised that it is Valentine’s Day tomorrow (tut tut!) this post is for you. Nothing says I love you more than food. Just me? Well nothing says I love you more than thoughtfully home-made scrummy chocolate brownies! Am I right?
Too late to get a gift? Quick! Get in the kitchen and whip these up. They are well and truly tried and tested in our household, and they go down a treat every time, if I may say so myself.
These brownies are from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook (their first one), and they have their brand new fourth baking cookbook coming out later this month! (On the birthday wishlist that goes…May as well, I have the other three!)
Most of the things you will already have in your cupboard, and if you’re anything like me then yes you do always have 200g of chocolate in the cupboard. If you don’t, hurry out and get some.
Here’s what you need:
- 200g dark chocolate
- 175g unsalted butter
- 325g caster sugar
- 130g plain flour
- 3 eggs
Here’s what you’ve gotta do:
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl in the microwave (I normally whack on for 2 minutes and stir half way through)
- Add the sugar and stir in well
- Sift the flour in and stir until well combined
- Add each egg and stir until the mix is thick and smooth
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and pour the mixture in
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes (I actually find mine comes out just perfect after 25 mins in our oven)
I warn you, it will be tempting to delve right in to the chocolatey goodness, but leave them to cool, and they will become amazingly sticky and yummy. Worth waiting for.
Feel free to decorate the tops with icing sugar, or even use a cookie cutter to cut them into heart shapes!Serve on a heart shaped plate to your loved one, or wrap in brown paper and tie with pretty ribbon.
It’s always nice to get a homemade gift, and albeit last minute, these are no exception.